January/February. Its time to talk about Bindings.

Bindings


On these cold winter nights, do you sit by the fire, watching a great movie on TV, enjoying your time, binding, your latest creation? 

 NO! NO! NO! 


 That was a pretty picture I painted but, I hate binding my quilts... It's just one of those things for me. First off, I don't have a fire! Second of all, by the end of the day, no matter how much lighting I have, I am not interested in bindings at all! 

 Traditionally, I hand bound all my quilts, but now, call it laziness or whatever you like, I enjoy sitting at my machine, sewing the some what perfect binding on my quilt. 

Do you hand sew your bindings, or machine sew them? Do you pillow turn or use the backing fabric to self bind your quilts? Do you have any special tips or tricks when you bind your quilt? Some new fangled method no one has ever heard of?




This month the challenge is simple. 

1. Make a small quilt and bind it in a method you have never used before (if possible). 

2. Be prepared to show that little quilt next month with a short explanation of what you did and how you liked it, any special tools you used and any information you wish to share.

3. Give 3 tips on making binding that you think would help a beginner. Please have them on a slip of paper or in the comments below, so that I can put them into a handout for the April meeting.   I will also add them to this blog so they will be forever in stone!!! ( Be prepared to answer questions)


Here is a great YouTube video that I thought was excellent with all kinds of bindings to try.


Here's my... I have never done it before...  self binding with backing fabric!

This technique actually turned out to be very simple.  I trimmed my backing fabric to 1" all the way around and turned it to the front.  I followed the directions in the video above and although I had a small problem I was pleased with the final result.






So let's get on board and everyone participate!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2023 - Half Square Triangles

Paper Piecing - Sue's way or Gail's way...